<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, September 10, 2003

DESIGNER'S ROTATION

I know many stitchers follow a rotation plan when working on stitching projects. I tend to rotate designs I'm working on. I start a design and then leave it for a bit and then come back to it. If it turns out to not fall in place gracefully and stubbornly resist my poking at it - I shelve it!! The two doors I'm working on now sat on the shelf for nearly a year. They were being very stubborn. They both needed a blackwork filling element that would be of a size to fit around both designs. Libby found her inspiration for the stained glass portion of these designs on one door, so I felt the blackwork "frames" needed to evolve from the same basic little motif. About a month ago, I got stubborn and determined to get them moving past the "designers block" phase and scrapped most of what I'd tried before (7 versions) and went back to counting threads, positioning the stained glass portions, positioning the corner elements and determining that I needed two 4 unit x 4 unit motifs that could be enriched in two different ways. Then they fell in place. Part of designing is knowing when to scrap what is simply not working.

But yesterday I did start a project that has been on the back burner for a long time. I hope it is ready for the Nashville trade show next year. It is a huge blackwork design that gives my charting software the wobbles it is sooooooooooo big and it won't be for the fainthearted. But it is a switch from the simpler things I'm also working on now and will bring a different flavor to my rotation.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?