<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

THIS RESEARCH IS FUNDED BY_______________________(Fill in the blank)

Many academic researchers rely on grants and jobs at institutions to fund their research. We independent scholars survive on a patchwork of day jobs, sales of designs and products, and the kindness of friends and strangers.

My database of needlework books has many entries which read "gift of______". My research travel and library costs are further supported by every student who takes a class, every shop or stitcher who buys a book or chart and those who kindly lodge and feed me from time to time.

Yes, it would be lovely to have a grant drop in my lap, but how lacking in soul that sort of funding often becomes. I love the personal touch.

Today I was gifted with a reprint of a facsimile of a 16th century pattern book not in my library. Thanks to Bronwen/Claudette I now have a valuable reference in my study of early pattern books.

AND a big thank you to all my supporters.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?