<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, May 09, 2004

STITCHING WITH MY MOM

I didn't take a formal class in embroidery until quite late in life and relied on my mom and grandmothers for instruction in needlearts.

My mom was born in 1921 and was a child of the depression. She had a childhood of very slender means and little to be spent on embroidery supplies. That didn't keep the women of my family from being creative however. Flour sacks were to be had and quilts were made of used clothing as well as inexpensive fabrics from the local stores; one of which was Skinner Brothers.

Once in a while printed embroidery designs were bought at the local shops and these little dogs embroidered by my mom when she was about 8-9 (to the best of her recollection) was one of them.


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?