<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, September 05, 2008

A Good Read 

The Subversive Stitch. The title of this publication is a bit confusing on first glance. It actually is an exhibit catalogue for two exhibits mounted by the Whitworth Art Gallery (Embroidery in Women's Lives 1300-1900) and the Cornerhouse Manchester (Women and Textiles Today).

The exhibits were organized some four years after the publication of Rozsika Parker's The Subversive Stitch 1984). Although I agree with some of Ms. Parker's opinions on the subject of needlework and the female condition and disagree with others, her book has become an old reliable standard in the literature of feminism and needlework.

The combined catalogues contain a considerable amount of well-considered text and helpful illustrations. There is also an excellent preface by Rozsika Parker and a recommended read if you can find it. An excellent companion to the book. ISBN 0 903261 24 3

Thanks to my friend Joanna B. for pointing out my need for this catalogue. In Louisville I managed to spend my bit of birthday money on books and this was one of them.

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
Hi!

Sounds like a great book! Does it have any photos of Elizabethan or Jacobean costume accessories (coifs, night caps, jackets, sweet bags, etc.)?

Did you get it from Ruth Kern books?
 
Hi Melinda - nice to see you here. I was just chatting about you and your work at the IEC last week.

No graphics in the costume department unfortunately and yes I did buy it from Ruth Kern who had the bookstore at the Louisville event so if she still has it in her catalogue, I may have bought her only copy. Good luck at having a look at a copy. I think it would appeal to you.
 
Chatting about me? nothing bad, I hope. I'm still slogging away on the sweet bag book, but at least I've finished my own.

Thanks for the info on the pictures in the book - I'm still going to keep an eye out for it, because it sounds interesting, but it sounds like I don't need to go to extraordinary lengths immediately.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?